Thursday 27 October 2011

Sustainability in Construction

SUSTAINABILITY

yes its a big word isn't it, its a word that is rapidly dominating the world of construction and seeping to industries else ware.
you might get the vibe from post construction industry workers that is simply is a pain in the neck, but is it? Is it all a gimmick to try and make buildings look and be more interesting by stamping on it "sustainable" or is it an increasingly important topic that must be taken seriously now and not later.

I personally do love the idea of innovation in Eco-logical construction, I mean that is what Engineering is about right? 

I went to an open day last year with my brother to LSBU (London South Bank University) and as we came nearer we saw a large tall "razor like" tower and I wondered what it could be, I was soon granted an answer when one of the architecture lecturers told me it was the "Strata Tower" I was amazed at the look and the placement of the wind turbines. To me I genuinely thought it was a good idea at least as a leader in incorporating environmental issues into construction. I looked at it when we left and I thought to my self  " I wonder what everyone thinks of it?"

I did get a lot of opinions about it some were rooting for it and others just thought that it was just an excuse for the company to build it without any headache from the council (Ouch!)

I also heard people saying that despite all the promises that were made about it being very efficient, it wasn't actually operating the wind turbines as offten as it should have. Who knows..

However I definitely agree with investing in more research regarding this kind of Engineering I also feel like Architects could really change the way these environmental features are perceived in terms of look  because they will improve the way of life and possibly make London a "greener" place .

1 comment:

  1. wow I just discovered your blog and really like it. Think you have great style and am following now! Definitely a new fan! You are very inspiring
    Pop up by my page when you get a chance xoxo Tamara
    www.theglamandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete